For me, it is harder to see gains in my shoulders than any other muscle group, so when I don’t have a lot of time to workout, I need to make the best use of my time.
This quick home workout, just like the other ones in the series can be completed in 10-15 minutes and are designed to get the maximum amount of hypertrophy in the shortest amount of time.
You can check out the other parts of the series at the below links.
The key to these quick home workouts is going heavy on the first part of a superset for the progressive overload and then for the second portion you create a metabolic stress and muscle damage with higher repetitions and a slowed concentric.
You can read all about the 3 ways to create muscle growth in my Weight Training Tips post.
This shoulder exercise works the shoulders in several ways, which makes it great for a quick home workout. To complete this exercise you will need a set of dumbbells.
- Stand shoulder width apart while holding a set of dumbbells.
- Perform an upright row until your arms are level with your shoulders
- Externally rotate the dumbbells so you are in an overhead press position
- Press the dumbbells overhead, pause at the top and reverse the movement to return to the start.
Rear Delt Row
To get a well-rounded shoulder you need to hit the rear delt as well as the side and front delt. This exercise will focus solely on the rear delts, the key to hitting the delts and not the lats is the rotation of the hands.
- Stand hip width apart while holding a set of dumbbells.
- With your knees slightly bent, lean forward so your torso is just above parallel to the floor and allow your arms to hang straight down palms facing in.
- Row the dumbbells up to your hip area while rotating your hands so your palms face forward.
- Squeeze your delts and lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
Lateral raises are the go to exercise to target the middle delts. To maximize the gains from this exercise go as heavy as you can and when you start to fail use a bit of a swing or cheat to get the weights raised and then control them as you lower them.
- Stand with your feet hip width apart holding dumbbells touching in front of your body with your arms hanging.
- Raise the dumbbells up straight out on either side of your body as high as you can raise them.
- Let your thumb be the highest part of your hand so you do not create internal rotation of the shoulder joint while raising your arm.
- Control the weights as you lower them back down to the starting position
Front raises will be used to hit the last part of the delt, yeah, you guessed it, the front delt. This will give you the big round shoulders from the side profile.
- Start standing with your feet hip width apart with a set of dumbbells in each hand at your sides.
- Without moving your torso raise the dumbbells up straight in front of you so your hands are slightly higher than shoulder level.
- In a controlled manner lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
Now that you know how to do the exercises, lets put this quick home workout together
Cuban Press superset with Rear Delt Rows
Pick a weight for the Cuban press that will have you fail in the 8-10 rep range, then go straight to the rear delt rows, using a weight that will allow you to do 15 reps before failing. Do 3 sets of this superset with a 30 to 60 second rest between them before moving on to the next superset.
Lateral Raises superset with Front Raises
Use the same method for the second superset in this quick home workout, pick a weight for the lateral raises that will see you fail in 8 to 10 reps, then jump straight into the front raises with a weight that will see you fail in 15 reps. Complete 3 sets of this superset with a 30 to 60 second rest between each one.
When I have a little extra time I like to do my Quick Home Workout for chest and then jump straight in to this workout. Just remember if you are trying to get maximum results in a short amount of time you need to train to failure and keep the intensity high.
What do you think about getting results in under 15 minutes? Let me know in the comments below.